Friday 9 September 2011

Rembrandt took my breath away

The Rembrandt exhibition in Amsterdam’s Museum took my breath away. The paintings have a photo-like ‘realness’. He has the uncanny ability to capture the wrinkle of the skin and the twinkle of light so unbelievably. One feels so over-awed in the presence of the masterpieces, as if revering the work of the painter. Hushed whispers and stunned gazes of the audience speak volumes about the impact the paintings have on visitors. One can go on and on, in respectful admiration, walking slowly from one painting to the next, one room to the next, one floor to the next, looking and listening to the audio guides, which though succinct, aptly capture the gist of each framed beauty on the wall. As I scanned the paintings for little details that the audio guide was describing, I could feel myself nodding my head in understanding. The mini tutorial on the style of the painter and his life was insightful... and the fact that Rembrandt actually went bankrupt towards the latter part of his life, literally shocked me. Wonder how he would react if knew that a painting of his sold for a record $33 million at Christie’s recently!

No comments:

Post a Comment